About Me

My photo
I love a lot. I wait a lot. I try to find a lot to laugh at. I don't usually have trouble with that. I pray a lot. I'm not always sure who or what I pray to, but I firmly believe that prayer makes a difference. I try not to panic very often. I try to learn something new every day. I spend a lot of time poking my nose into other peoples' bidness via their blogs. I clean up an awful lot of feathers. You can dress me up, but you can't really take me out. I travel a lot when I can find bird sitters and we take them with us when I can't. I drink, prolly to excess, but I rarely get sick because my body is a hostile environment to germs (or maybe no SELF RESPECTING germ would LIVE in my body?) I collect: gnomes, passport stamps, MONEY-preferably US dollars or Euros, red headed womyn and chicks named Stephanie. My Momma taught me many many years ago that girls don't fart, they foosie. She taught me lots of other chit too. Thanks for stopping by-leave me a comment and let me know you were here, feel free to link to me, or email me at jacquelynn.fortner@gmail.com

Friday, October 17, 2008

Things to do while the beer gets cold.

We had daylight left when we finished getting checked in and set up yesterday, so we ventured out to see what we could get into.  The Innocent Bystander had picked himself up a bottle of Jim Beam on the way down, so I tried to get him to stop and pick me up a bottle of citrus vodka so I could get a Sonic Slush to mix with it.  He refused on the grounds that this would be "a violation of our fast food system."  Icehole.

Instead, we headed over to Walgreens to pick up my xanax prescription.  Since I was not in their computer system, they had not yet filled the Rx, so we had about 30 minutes to kill, which was fine as we wanted to find some little battery operated lamps in case the power decided to wonk out on us again.  We (if by we you mean HE since I was sitting on my arse reading magazines) searched up and down, but the best we could find was a couple of flashlights, so we got those instead.  When we got out of there, we decided to head over to Kennessaw Mountain National Battlefield since the IB had never (wtf?!?) been to a battlefield.  Seeing as battlefields are pretty much just fields once the battle is all over, there was nothing much to see, so we decided to drive up the scenic mountain road.  We got halfway up the mountain and discovered that to get to the top where the cannon was that the whole battle was based on you had to hike between half a mile and a mile, so we hopped out and up we went.  It was SO nice up there-you could feel the air get cooler and cooler the higher we got, but I felt like I'd been blowing up balloons by the time we reached the summit.  The view was absolutely spectacular, but I don't know how on earth they got that cannon up the mountain with no path or electricity or machinery or anything.  Ya gotta wanna, I rectom.  In any case, the hike down was much easier than the hike up had been!

We left there and got some dinner at a place up the road called the Marietta Diner, which had a very extensive menu with everything from classic American fare to Italian to Greek-usually I worry about places like that, as they tend to serve prepackaged reheated frozen food rather than actually cooking, but this was not the case here.  The food was fresh and plentiful and the waitstaff was friendly and fun-we really had a good time.

We came back to the camper to drink beer, watch tv and hang out for awhile before we went to bed.  I was going through my reader catching up on blogs and got up to go pee.  When I came back, there was a black box, about 6-8 inches long sitting on the engine cover close to where I sit.  "OH CHIT" I thought.  "What anniversary or holiday have I forgotten?  How am I going to tell him I forgot and don't have anything for him?"  We sat there for awhile and I mentally flipped through the calendar and couldn't come up with anything so I decided to play it cool and just went back to my blogs.  A few minutes later, he said "Baby, would you hand me that little box by your foot?"  My heart leapt.  "Here it comes," I thought.  He turned to me, opened it, and held it out.  I looked down, my heart pounding in anticipation.

It was one of those fooking FLASHLIGHTS.  How romantic.  

When I finished laughing enough to explain what had gone through my head, he felt really bad that I had gotten my hopes up, so he promised to buy me something shiny soon.  I hope he knows he doesn't have to do that.  *bats eyelashes*

Since I had thought to pick up some melatonin and Excedrin migraine while I was at Walgreens, we slept pretty well most of the night.  It is not so much that the bed itself is uncomfortable, but Paul Bunyan over there is 6'4" and the bed is full sized, so he sleeps diagonally.  Wouldn't be a problem if my arms were detachable.  And maybe my legs.  And boobs. ^shrug^

We got up to the predicted rain, so we took our time getting out to the embassy.  The last time the IB's relief captain had to come do the paperwork shuffle, they had all of his stuff ready, but because he had thrown a fit with them on the phone about his missing passport (which had somehow become separated from his other paperwork, but by FedEx, not the embassy) they refused to give him his passport and visa unless he wrote them a letter of apology exonerating them from all blame, so we were prepared to have to jump through hoops to get the IB's stuff taken care of.  We got there and asked for our contact person, Miss Helen, who came to the door.  When we introduced ourselves, she threw open the door and came out and shook IB's hand and hugged my neck like we were old friends.  (We have had to do this all every time he's gone to Nigeria, so we have spent a great deal of time on the phone with her.)  She looked over his paperwork, said everything looked fine, and that they would mail his passport sometime next week, so it all went unexpectedly smoothly.  We stopped on our way out at the first florist we passed and sent her a dozen roses for all her help. 

We decided we would ride over to Stone Mountain just to see what all that entailed, but the rain and fog were so bad you could barely see the carving on the mountain and everything else looked too lame to attempt in the rain with no bumpershoots, so we decided we would blow that off and head over to the High Museum of Art in downtown Atlanta.  They were having an exhibit from the Louvre in addition to their regular exhibits, so we got an extra added bonus.  They even had one Vermeer, who is one of both of our favorite artists although it was not what I consider one of his better paintings.  Whatshisname was a bit disappointed though, as he thought they would have at least one or two Rembrandts and they didn't.  Poor baby.  Guess he'll just have to take me back to the Rijksmuseum and he can see all of them he wants to, right?

We came back to the camper to check on the birds and managed to work in a little 'afternoon delight'  (wink wink nudge nudge), then showered and went out for some dinner.  Now we are back and the beer is cold, so I am fixing to pop a top and sit back and catch back up on what some of you are up to.  Tomorrow is Six Flags day, so I'm sure I'll have something MUCH more fun to catch you up on when we get back tomorrow evening.  Until then, be safe!

1 comment:

Dana said...

Fun times it sounds like! Have a great time at Six Flags.