Yesterday's news was that the entire oil industry in Nigeria is on the verge of a three day strike beginning Wednesday. I didn't think a whole lot about it-at most I figured it would mean that the Innocent Bystander's last day or two on the boat would be a lot of hurry up and wait, but no work. No prollem, right?
Guess again, derf. Turns out it is a HUGE, BIG HAIRY DEAL. If they go on strike, that means no helicopters will be flying in or out. This means the IB would be stuck on the boat until the strike was resolved. Can we say OHSHITOHDEAR?
We discussed it this morning. The IB's relief captain is scheduled to arrive in Lagos on Tuesday morning, so if the IB can get a helicopter out they may be able to crew change a day early. That is if the other captain can get a flight from Lagos to Warri. If not, I may end up spending a day or three in Amsterdam by myself, in which case we might extend our stay once he joined me. (Heh. I said extend.) This would be a mixed blessing. I really want to go back to the Van Gogh museum and take my time, which he has no interest in. I could take a day trip to Delft or go see the cheese in Gouda. *laughs hysterically* There are a few other places I could go hang out and people watch, if nothing else. I am not concerned about finding ways to stay occupied, but I AM concerned with ANY delay in my getting LAID. Dammit.
The upshot is I am holding my breath. There is a meeting scheduled with the government tomorrow which may resolve the issues that this particular strike is to address. I sure hope so. I had really big plans.